As the most prestigious award in the financial services industry, the Loren Dunton Memorial Award is bestowed upon those who have made a substantial contribution to the profession and the financial interests of the public.
The International Association of Registered Financial Consultants (IARFC) will honor Rosilyn Overton, Ph.D., MRFC, CFP®, CRPS, LTCP of Mid-Atlantic Securities in Great Neck, NY with the 2019 recognition at the IARFC Annual Conference March 20-22 in Nashville, as one who has achieved significant milestones in her career as both a financial practitioner and educator.
“I consider receiving the Dunton Award as one of the most significant honors in my career as a financial professional,” relates Dr. Overton. “Being a financial consultant and planner has been my calling. It allows me to use my analytical skills to help people. In addition to the intellectual challenge of designing a sound financial plan, I am keenly aware of the emotional needs of my clients as we work for their financial security.”
Rosilyn Overton has maintained this journey for over 35 years. She is an extraordinary combination of practitioner, scholar and contributor to the public good. She has published a multitude of articles and made many media appearances including Good Morning America, Wall Street Journal Report and WCBS Morning News.
With a career of that longevity, Dr. Overton has had many opportunities to advance the profession and has received countless awards. When asked her most significant achievements, she singles out the following experiences as highlights:
- Achieving her Ph.D. at age 65 while working full time as a practitioner and professor with a dissertation topic of Financial Planning Theory & Practice;
- Representing the United States to the Financial Planning Standards Board Task Force that developed educational standards for worldwide programs – attending meetings in London and Dubai;
- Designing and implementing the Master of Science in Finance, Financial Planning specialty at the New Jersey City University School of Business;
- Serving on the Council on Education of the CFP Board of Standards, Inc.;
- Organizing public education events in New York City on financial planning;
- Serving as Chairperson of the Financial Planning Association of New York and Chairman of the Wall Street Division;
- Fulfilling roles in the IARFC including Vice President, Board Member, Financial Planning Competition Judge and contributor to MRFC exam content.
“We very much feel that Dr. Overton exceeds the criteria for the Dunton Award,” commented IARFC Chairman and CEO, H. Stephen Bailey, MRFC.”
Dunton is regarded as the “Father of Financial Planning” who organized financial professionals in the late sixties. With their help, he created the financial planning movement. Dunton developed associations, magazines, colleges, university programs and foundations. He used his experiences to frankly explain what all financial consultants now recognize – that the ethical sales of financial products and the delivery of competent advice is a noble calling. Loren Dunton was a man of vision who cared deeply about both financial consultants and consumers.
“In bestowing the Loren Dunton Memorial Award, the IARFC salutes Dr. Overton’s contribution to Dunton’s principles and mission,” continues Bailey.
The Loren Dunton Memorial Award will be presented to Dr. Overton during the IARFC Annual Conference held in Nashville, TN March 20-22. Members of the Association and the public are encouraged to register and attend the award’s banquet. For additional information on the IARFC, the Loren Dunton Memorial Award, and the 2019 IARFC Annual Conference visit the IARFC website.