As a Registered Financial Consultant one of your most important services to your clients is to keep their documents up-to-date. That is important for you and your family as well. While we might encourage you to perform your own comprehensive review, it probably will not be effective. Why? Because you are likely to procrastinate!
How to use this Checklist….
- Go down the list and pick one or two items that you should address or review personally. Don’t worry about the ones you have not selected.
- Pick a day of the week when you can “squeeze” out a bit of time to focus your attention on the item or items you have selected.
- Pick a future date. (For example, next Saturday morning).
- Determine the best location (Home, office, school).
- Do you need anything? (Files, forms, documents, old plans, etc.)
- On the appointed date – do not re-schedule. Do it!
- Update your list, and pick the next tasks to work on.
- Durable Power of Attorney
- Healthcare Directive
- Will & Testament
- Trust Agreement
- Trust Protector Nomination
- Trust Financial Advisor
- Medical History (wallet)
- Group Insurance Beneficiaries
- Life Insurance
- Medical Coverage
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Critical Illness
- Contents Coverage Listing
- Auto Insurance
- Personal Resume
Of course you could update several topics of your personal documentation. You can also use this checklist in your client plan reviews. As you use it to bring plans and documents up to date, if you think we should add some items for next year, please send a copy to the IARFC.